Please join us for the an exciting, interesting & thought-provoking meeting of the HBS Club of Atlanta's Entrepreneur Special Interest Group @ Georiga Tech's ATDC
SPEAKER: Fred A. Jacobs, PhD., CMA, CPA
So you’ve found a company to buy…now what? Challenges of due diligence on a small company acquisition
For those who want to run a company but don’t want to start one from scratch or wait 20 years to be promoted to CEO, there’s always the option of purchasing a company. Possibly you already own a company but to grow maybe a merger with a rival makes sense. There’s one problem--what are you buying? Is the owner selling you the next big thing or his problems?
Have you done all of your due diligence thoroughly? How can you be sure before you close the transaction? How are small company financials & due diligence efforts different from large enterprises? Is physically reviewing the inventory and reviewing the financials enough? What are some of the tools to use in evaluating and issues to be aware of? Come learn from someone who has reviewed countless transactions and written extensively on the subjects of managing inventory, accounts receivable, and cash flow in small businesses. You need someone who truly knows due diligence and can root out distortion in financial statements. Someone who consults & teaches around the world.
Fred A. Jacobs, PhD., CMA, CPA
Dr. Fred A. Jacobs is Professor Emeritus, Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia. He is also Professor and Lowder-Weil Chair at Auburn University, Montgomery, Alabama. Additionally, Dr. Jacobs is Director of The Academy for Value Creations and Professor of Business Administration, Luleå University of Technology, Luleå, Sweden where he works with the business community on economic development and intellectual property issues. Dr. Jacobs is a Certified Management Accountant (C.M.A.) and a Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A. -- Tennessee). He consults with small and large businesses and practices forensic accounting in consultation and as an expert witness in litigation support services involving economic valuation, liability in securities fraud cases, economic damage and other areas.
Dr. Jacob’s research includes over 70 published papers and dozens of academic and professional presentations in the U.S. and abroad. Research in the past several years has included issues related to management fraud, auditor independence and tenure, marketing control, quality and customer satisfaction, risk, benchmarking, motivations for individual philanthropy, and other management control innovations.
Recently, Dr. Jacobs has been a visiting scholar at Mid-Sweden University, Östersund, Sweden, Institut d'Administration des Enterprises de Paris, Universite Paris I, Pantheon - Sorbonne, Paris, France. Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, sponsored by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDE) and Azerbaijan State Oil Academy, Baku, Azerbaijan.
RSVP REQUIRED Click here to Register
Cost is $5 cash at the door & includes continental breakfast.
Location: GEORGIA TECH ATDC BOARDROOM 75 5th Street, NW BOARDROOM Atlanta, GA 30308
75 5th Street, NW
Atlanta, GA 30308
***Please note that the southbound 14th/10th Street exit is closed due to construction.***
Directions from Southbound I-75/I-85 Downtown Connector:
- Take exit 249D toward Georgia Tech/US-78/US-278/N Ave.
- Merge onto Williams Street.
- At the red light, turn right at North Ave.
- Turn right at the first road onto Techwood Drive. Continue on Techwood Drive and then turn right at 5th Street.
- After you cross over the bridge on 5th Street, take your first left onto Williams Street.
- Then take your first right and turn left into the Centergy One parking garage.
Directions from Northbound I-75/I-85 Downtown Connector:
- Take exit 84 (10th Street/14th Street).
- At the top of the exit ramp, turn right onto 10th Street and follow it one block to Spring Street.
- Turn right onto Spring Street.
- Turn right into the building driveway in front of the LA Fitness and then turn right into the Centergy One parking garage.
- Walkway from the parking garage to the building:
- When leaving the parking garage, take the elevator to the fifth floor, then follow the covered walkway to the courtyard between the ATDC Building (Centergy One) and the Technology Square Research Building. The ATDC Building (Centergy One) will be to the left. Enter the ATDC Building, and the main ATDC office will be straight ahead in Suite 100.
Directions back to I-75/I-85 Downtown Connector:
- On exiting the parking deck, turn right. Immediately turn right again, onto Williams Street. (Williams Street is one way at this point).
- Stay in the right lane.
- Travel two blocks to 10th Street.
- Turn right onto 10th Street and travel one block to Spring Street.
- Turn right onto Spring Street. (Spring Street is one way southbound).
- Follow Spring Street across Fifth Street and across North Avenue.
- For northbound I-75/85, an entrance ramp will be to the right of Spring Street at Pine.
- For southbound I-75/85, stay on the left side of Spring Street and follow the signs to the southbound entrance ramp.
- For northbound I-85, quickly move into one of the four left lanes of the I-75/85 Downtown Connector, as I-85 splits off soon after the entrance ramp. I-75 will split off to the right.